Thursday, January 24, 2013

Alternative Seating

After rearranging my bedroom over the long weekend, I had an extra set of tall bed risers. I have been thinking that one of my students could benefit from an alternative seating method since he's very active tends to lose focus while sitting. I decided to try putting his desk on the bed risers to give him the opportunity to have a standing desk.

In the past, I have considered getting exercise balls for students to use as chairs. However, moving out to the portables ended this dream of mine. There's nowhere to store a bunch of exercise balls or excess chairs.


I found these risers a while back at Target. They were on clearance from the dorm furnishings in August/September. These ones are the extra tall risers, I think they're eight inches tall. In all, I think they cost me $1.50. I will definitely buy more if I see them on sale again because more of my students would like to try a standing desk.

This kiddo didn't last very long while standing. I watched him as he slowly transitioned to kneeling on his chair, which is when I gave him my stool. (If I have end up giving more kids standing desks, I'll have to find more stools!) He asked at the end of the day if he could keep his desk that way though, so he must like it. He was also more aware and engaged in the classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment